RE: Backing up large DBs on ASM

From: Kenneth Naim <kennaim_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 04:55:13 -0400

The first task is to determine the bottleneck using v$backup_async_io and v$backup_sync_io. The views map nicely to rman backupsets and with a little analysis any performance issues will be revealed. To test the maximum throughput of your server vs your storage/network you can run the rman commands "RESTORE DATABASE VALIDATE" "BACKUP DATABASE VALIDATE". If the backup validate runs much faster than your refular backup with everything else being equal ( parallelism, load etc.) then your bottleneck is on your network (ethernet/fiber cards, switches etc.) or tape library, if it is slower than your issue is either with your server (parallelism, cpu, memory etc.) or with your disk drives (data not being spread out relative to the reads). I did the research on a similar issue for a client that had an uncooperative OS team and with minimal info about the hardware setup I was able to determine that it was their network using the 2 v$views mentioned above. It turns out they were using shared gigabit Ethernet to backup a 7Tb database and they were scheduled to buy more ram to solve this issue since ram was showing above 80% utilized on a sun box during the backups. Once I proved the issue they took the server and directly attached it to the tape library with multiple 2gb fiber paths, reducing the backup time from 30 hours to under 5. Feel free to contact me off list if you want more details.

Ken