Re: eBusiness Migration from Solaris to Linux

From: Jurijs Velikanovs <j.velikanovs_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 13:48:17 +1000

Hi Daniel,

I did EBS cross-platform migration migration several times including to Linux platform.
Reading your email i have got impression that you are talking DB end only (slit configuration).
NOTE: It is possible to migrate Apps end to Linux as well, but 11i doesn't work on 64-bit Linux

As for EBS DB migration you can use any Generic Oracle DB method. Only condition is the source and destination should be identical (or close to identical) at the end.

I don't see how you can migrate an Oracle DB from Solaris 10 (64 bit) to Suse Linux 10 (64 bit) using transportable database feature: select * from V$TRANSPORTABLE_PLATFORM where upper(PLATFORM_NAME) like '%64-BIT%' order by 3, 2;

It might be challenging to migrate EBS DB using transportable tablespaces as there are ~200k data dictionary objects to transfer beside of data/index segments.
IMHO you do have 2 options in that case: - FULL Exp/Imp
- Combined TRSF TBS & METADATA Exp/Imp

I did the first recently (Tru64->AIX) for 1TB database using Data Pump. I know that Oracle were running earler adopters program for second option (ref http://blogs.oracle.com/stevenChan/2008/08/call_for_xtts_eap_participants.html).

Just my 0.02$,
Yury

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 5:16 AM, Daniel W. Fink<daniel.fink_at_optimaldba.com> wrote:
> I am working with a client that is migrating their Oracle eBiz suite 11i
> (11.5.10.2) from Solaris 10 (64 bit) to Suse Linux 10 (64 bit) on System Z.
> According to Metalink note 369693.1, the recommended migration method is to
> export/import (detailed in Metalink note 362205.1).
> Several of the non-eBiz databases have been successfully migrated using RMAN
> and the plans are/were to do this with eBiz.
> Does anyone have experience migrating eBiz to a Linux platform? Did you use
> RMAN? If so, did you encounter any issues?
>
> Regards
> Daniel Fink
>
> Oracle Performance, Diagnosis, Data Recovery and Training
>
> OptimalDBA    http://www.optimaldba.com
> Oracle Blog   http://optimaldba.blogspot.com
>
> Lost Data?    http://www.ora600.be

Jurijs