Re: hardware configuration Oracle 10gr2: Sun Intel X4450 4 Quad-core processor (2.73 GHz chip, 64 GB memory) VERSUS Sun Netra 1290 8 CPU (1.5 GHz Sparc VII. 64 GB Memory) --> Any performance #s (or comments) that anyone on the list has

From: Krishna Manoharan <krishmanoh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 19:52:04 -0700

I would suggest to look at your requirements from an Oracle perspective, convert them to tactical requirements and match to Server specs. SPEC/Vendor benchmarks really do not apply in the real world. Otherwise you may end up under/over sizing your infrastructure. There is a lot to Server Selection beyond just CPU and Memory. You would need to consider other factors such as CPU-Memory-IO Interconnects, IO capabilities etc and determine as to whether it is a well balanced scalable design.
You would need to ask your vendor to provide the internal specifications for the server - For Sun, you can ask for "Just the Facts (JTF)" for any specific Server. This would give you an indepth look at the internals. To give an example, the Dell 2950 (rated for max of 32GB RAM) using the Greencreek chipset has a theoretical peak overall bandwidth capability of ~20 GB/sec between CPU and Memory/IO. In actuality, I would estimate around 12GB/sec as max bandwidth taking into account overhead and cpu capabilities.

If all you ever are going to consume is say 5GB/sec (CPU to Memory/IO), then a Dell 2950 may be a economical idea. But assuming you requirement is for a lot of concurrent memory access, then the Dell 2950 is a poor choice (> 12GB memory is not scalable).
It is not easy to compare an Intel X-86 to Sparc on paper because they behave differently under different loads. A proper method would be to simulate your workload on each platform and see how they measure up. Even the choice of OS makes an impact.
Thanks
Krishna Manoharan
http://dsstos.blogspot.com