dataguard connection question

From: Joan Hsieh <joan.hsieh_at_tufts.edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 19:34:53 -0400

Hi List,

I have question regarding dataguard, the primary database is xytht1, the standby is xytht2. the oracle is 11.1.0.7. Our client is using jdbc thin client to connect the primary database. the connection string is

jdbc:oracle:thin:_at_(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=test-xythdb-01.uit.tufts.edu)(PORT=11003))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=XYTHT1))) JDBCConnectionPool:395

After I tested switchover, the client lost connection, and have to manually reconfigure to change the HOST and service name. This is not acceptable to our client. I have no knowledge on how to automatically switchover/failover for the client jdbc connection. Do you have any ideas on this? Thank you for any helps.

Joan