Re: Logical standby issues

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 15:53:36 -0800

Laimutis Nedzinskas wrote:

> Need some help or opinions regarding Oracle logical standby database.
>
> Environment:
>
> Logical standby, version 10, release 1, patch 4.
> Primary and standby are tight coupled (maximum availability mode).
[...]
> 1) Deletion of consumed archive logs both on the standby and the primary
> site:[...]
>
> 2) Time from time standby breaks but this is more due to the schema
> patches.[...]
>
> 3) DB Guard leakes PGA memory on the primary. It leaked it for a fact(by
> OS reports), it was not V$-view bug. Had to disable it. Not really happy
> about that.

[item 4 missing in original]

> 5) Primary is not happy about unexpected standby restarts.[...]
>
> 6) To sum up: something's a bit shaky in my environment at least. Should
> I give up with maximum availability mode and reduce the database to
> maximum performance mode? I am interested to hear from others.

Are you using the logical standby as a front-line disaster recovery database? My recommendation is to use physical standby instead, as there   are too many ways that a logical standby can deviate from the primary, both intentionally and otherwise. These potential deviations are not a good thing when you are trying to resume operations exactly where the primary left off.

Could you explain your item (3) a little more? Which process or setting did you disable?

I was hoping to see a more helpful reply than this one, but haven't yet.

--
Mark Bole
http://www.bincomputing.com