Re: kernel Upgrade: Oracle 9iR2, RHEL3, and kernel version (max)?

From: Magnus Andersen <mag.andersen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 14:21:18 -0500

The smp kernel does not address memory above 16 GB. If you have more memory (16 - 64 GB) use the hugemem kernel, if not there is no reason, that I know of, to use it. We are also running on the 2.4.21-32.0.1 kernel without any problems on RHEL 3. I am not familiar with OCFS. I'm running ext3.

On a side note, I would strongly suggest that you use hugetlb since I saw huge performance gains implementing that.

--

Magnus Andersen
Systems Administrator / Oracle DBA

--