Re: OT: Windows to Linux GUI

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 19:50:33 -0400

On 10/28/05, Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> In addition to the suggestions for Cygwin and TightVNC:
>
> Sounds like a good excuse to load up a spare PC with the linux of your
> choice.
>
> Or use a VMWare session to run linux.
>
> Either can be used to run the Oracle installer.
>
> From the Xserver machine ( your linux PC )
> use xhost to allow an X connection from the Oracle box.
> Assuming the Oracle box is frodo
>
> $> xhost frodo.
>
> use telnet or ssh to logon to the target machine.
>
> set the DISPLAY to the Xserver (your PC - assume it is bilbo )
> $> set DISPLAY=bilbo:0.0; export DISPLAY
>
> $>xclock
>
> If xclock worked, runInstaller should work.
>
> This may be somewhat simpler if you use VNC.
>
> HTH.
>
> Jared

Jared,

When using the Xserver included with a recent Cygwin distro, an xhost command is not required.

C:\cygwin\release\> cygwin.bat
pdrake_at_valkyrie ~
$ startx

spawns an xterm ...

$ ssh -X bdbafh_at_destructobox
bdbafh_at_destructobox's password:
Last login ...

bdbafh_at_destructobox ~]$ su - oracle
oracle_at_destructobox ~]$ cd Ora10gR1dbsvrlinx86/Disk1
oracle_at_destructobox ~]$ sh runInstaller

and OUI is off and running ...

Provided that you start an xserver first, then use that xterm to connect with the "-X" switch, the xforwarding is done within the ssh tunnel.

Paul

> On 10/26/05, Jeffrey Beckstrom <JBECKSTROM_at_gcrta.org> wrote:
> >
> > We are looking at moving our databases from Windows to Linux. I found
> Putty for accessing Linux from Windows. However, it does not have a GUI.
> Is there a GUI client for accessing Linux from Windows XP?
> >

> > Jeffrey Beckstrom
> > Database Administrator
> > Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
> > 1240 W. 6th Street
> > Cleveland, Ohio 44113
>

> --
> Jared Still