Database Character set related question

From: Mandal, Ashoke <ashoke.k.mandal_at_medtronic.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 11:42:05 -0500

Greetings All,

The database CHARACTER SET is US7ASCII. The data in the database contains 8 bits (> 127 ASCII ) values. We cannot display these values, instead we see "?" character via the sqlplus session. We want to upgrade this database to 9.2.0.4, but before we do that , we want to make sure that we don't lose any characters that are currently stored in the database.
 We are attempting to run CSSCAN to verify. We want to use UTF8 in the new 9i
database. How do we determine what the character set was used to put the data into the database.

It's definitely not US7ASCII!

Is there a object that we can look at to see what another session is currently using? It is difficult for us to get access to the user 's workstation to see there configuration.

Thanks,

Ashoke