RE: Backup flash recovery area on shared storage from alternate host?

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:21:17 -0700

Jeremiah,

If this is a SAN based FRA, can you not use a technology such as ShadowImage (HDS) or BCV (EMC) to split the mirror and *mount* it (not NFS) as a filesystem on another host that has access to the tape drives? (any host is ok but you kill two birds with one stone if this is the standby host) Note that the FRA by default is not only the backup area, but has the archive logs, flashback logs, etc, so you cannot take it offline. Offloading such work requires a *complete* detach - via a mirror such as what I describe above...

Best!
John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)