RE: Methods for testing RMAN backups?

From: Prem <premjhere_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 19:51:00 +0530

Hi Tom,

RMAN>restore database validate;

Hope you do this on your production systems. Just wanted to confirm that it doesn't mess up anything :) I have long wanted to do this, but don't know whether there is any other issue doing this ?

I am on 9.2.0.6 / Solaris 8.

What's the version you do it on ? Have you tried it on 8i systems ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Prem Khanna J

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On

Vanessa,

A good first test is to validate your backup. Simply allocate a channel and issue a "restore database validate;". This does everything that a restore would do except it does not touch the database. Validate both your database and archivelog backups. This will prove that you can get the backups off of tape or from disk, depending on the type of backup you are doing. I run a validate backup every week for all of our databases.

After this, I would insist on performing a complete restore just so that you know it can be done.

Good Luck!

Tom
--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Oct 25 2005 - 09:23:07 CDT