Re: RTFM, Newbies etc

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 20:31:41 +0000

On 10/23/2005 03:36:37 PM, Ryan wrote:
> When you do something for a while, it becomes easy to find information in the documentation.
> I don't see a problem with people asking simple questions.

The problem is in so called signal to noise ratio. Such questions are a sheer noise and make this list less useful.

> If you don't want to answer them, then don't.

This list is great precisely because it isn't a beginners forum but a forum where more experienced professionals meet. If you turn it into a beginners forum, its purpose will be defeated and you will end up with c.d.o.server. If that is the case, I'll rather go there. This list is uselees if it turns into a duplicate of c.d.o.server.

> If you want to help, post a link to where to
> find the answers. If you look on asktom, tom posts a link to documented information.
> He gets alot of newbie questions.

That is one of the places that newbies should go and ask trivial questions. This list is not asktom.

> The sql tuning questions get old, however, each person asking them is a newbie.
> How are they going to know what to do?

I usually invest the time and effort to tell them what not to do, in my particularly charming way.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com