RTFM, Newbies etc

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 20:31:11 +0100

I do feel a little sad watching the whole RTFM/newbie thing. I guess its just something that lists go through from time to time. Some times they recover, other times they don't. A while back I did post some thoughts on dealing with apparent newbie questions ( http://www.niall.litchfield.dial.pipex.com/2005/09/oldie-hints-and-tips.html). I won't repeat them here. I guess my advice really boils down to treating
people with respect. RTFM doesn't do that - though variations of it (like which manual, or a link to the relevant docs) can. RTFM says "you're wasting my time and I think you are stupid". I wouldn't say that to anyone in one-to-one conversation, I don't see why it is acceptable in email. (unless you are 14, male and on a video games forum obviously)

Splitting the list into two is I think also wrong, Lists are about sharing information, not classifying people as experts or newbies. Don't wish to respond to a waste of time then don't. Just please don't respond to them in order to tell them you're not talking to them.

--

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Sun Oct 23 2005 - 14:33:27 CDT