Re: 9i install on windows 2003

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 12:31:01 -0400

On 10/19/05, Bryan Wells <bunjibry_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I am in process of moving a test envirionment to new hardware, SAN attached.
> Currently the environment is running w2k advanced server on an old dell
> poweredge 6400. age and disk space are the driving forces behind this move.
> the SA installed windows 2003 on the new envrironment. i installed oracle
> up to 9.2.0.5 as seen in the existing environment. attempting to bring DB
> up via backup controlfile. why attempting? the new envirionment seems to
> be taking quite a bit of time to create control files. i have altered the
> locations of some files, and made note of them in the controlfile script and
> init.ora where necessary. it just seems to be painfully slow to bring this
> up. I do this same scenario every weekend to the existing test environment
> from production and once the physical restore is complete, the db startup is
> 5 minutes if that. Cant remember the specific Software I installed for
> oracal since it was on a NFS. could it be im using the wrong Oracle
> software, thus confusing the OS?
>
> --
> Bryan Wells
> bunjibry_at_gmail.com
> Database Administrator

Bryan,

You could take the "don't do it" approach: Don't create new controlfiles. Are you changing the database name?
Are you increasing the maxdatafiles?

Why did you not just rename the files with the database instance in a mount state?
With a backup conrolfile, recovery will be required along with an open resetlogs operation.
Far better to use the existing (current) controlfile and rename the logfiles, datafiles.

Paul