RE: Vendors supporting patch levels

From: Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) <Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:57:37 -0400

Brian,

Philosophically you are absolutely correct in everything you say.

But getting software vendors to certify their stuff against a release of Oracle is a tough sell. They are only going to do it if they see their bottom line dropping out. I have the exact same issue with Curam software. Our current release (version 3.x) is only certified with Oracle 9.2.x. So we cannot go to Oracle 10g until Curam release 4.x is both available and wanted by our management team.

You are right in putting pressure on them to move things along. But just be patient. Document the problem for your management and let them deal with it. Remember you are "just the DBA". This is a management issue.

Good Luck.

Tom