RE: Tivoli Storage Manager Implementation

From: Marquez, Chris <cmarquez_at_collegeboard.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 23:28:47 -0400

Brian,

>>My co-dba thinks the systems people will
>>take care of it all but I have my doubts.
Your doubts are correct!

>>I see there is a need for RMAN scripts and
Oh yes...long ago I got the rude awakening that all MML Agent For Oracle do NO scripting unless they have a GUI and/or *basic* provided set of RMAN scripts. But this is minimal and you will have needs to write or modify these scripts Also, RESTORE and RECOVER can not be scripted unless it is "all or nothing". How can I say this, because one can not script (RESTORE and RECOVER) what they do not know has been lost. ;o)

>>of course some testing to prove it really does backup & restore.
Yes , test ,test, test you backups!
"Backup is easy....it Recovery (Restore) that is hard"

good luck...Tivoli is hard, but good.

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA