RE: Managing developers recommendations

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_quadtechworld.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:28:23 -0500

Hey Fred,

In the meantime, here's some things that may help to use TOAD:

  1. Users cannot do anything in TOAD that you can't do in SQL*Plus. i.e. there's no circumventing of Oracle security.
  2. This doesn't mean I want devs analyzing tables and screwing up my DBMS_STATS with a simple (accidental?) touch of a GUI button! This and most other features can be turned on and off by Oracle username or by using roles. The security information is stored in the DB, so it's not client-specific. I don't use this as "security" per se, but to prevent accidents. If a dev wants to screw up their schema, not much will stop them aside from fear of consequences and maybe a trigger.
  3. The latest GA release of TOAD is 8.5.3. It's best to start with this version if possible.
  4. There is a freeware version of TOAD with limitations. See http://www.toadsoft.com Also see the TOAD FAQ!

HTH! Good luck with the generic account!

Rich