RE: tablespaces ddl extract script

From: Gogala, Mladen <MGogala_at_allegientsystems.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:39:35 -0400

Every good system should have command called bc. Here is what it gives:

bc 1.06
Copyright 1991-1994, 1997, 1998, 2000 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. For details type `warranty'.
scale=9
-201326592.-.589934592
-201326592.589934592

So, DBMS_METADATA.GET_DDL will give you -201326592.589934592 which is a perfectly legal number belonging to R. It is, of course, completely usless but it is completely legal and you don't even need Taylor series to represent it. I am looking forward to the moment when Oracle routines will start returning complex numbers to use as input to "create" commands. That will be completely in accordance with the super-string theory according to which space-time continuum has 11 dimensions. For those who don't remember high school, complex numbers are algebraic closure of R and each number is represented as a sum of its real and imaginary part. The phrase "algebraic closure" means, of course, that every polynomial with the coefficients in C has at least one solution in the field C. Now I've been as helpful as the Oracle Corp. with its return values. Am I great or what?

--
Mladen Gogala
Ext. 121