Re: CRS install on Firewire Linux

From: Uwe Weber <uwe.weber_at_teleos-web.de>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 14:14:16 +0200

Mladen Gogala schrieb:
> Uwe, according to your logfile, your primary node is evicting the
> second node because it has missed several checkins. In other words,
> heartbeat is not coming through.

Yes, looks like it. What puzzles me is that I can not find a reason for this.
> The cause for that might simply be a
> faulty Ethernet card.

The cards (though cheap RL8139s) work for other things, like ftp.
> Also, hopefully, you used a switch when
> connecting two machines with the private interconnect. If you didn't,
> your database will simply hang, waiting for the answer from another
> side which might never come.

They are connected with a crosslink cable. I'll try a switch tonight.
> Second, if everything is OK, you may be
> having contention problem with your network "send" and "receive"
> buffers. On 2.6 kernels you can speed things up by setting the
> following parameters:
>
> net.core.rmem_default = 524288
> net.core.wmem_default = 524288
> net.core.rmem_max = 524288
> net.core.wmem_max = 524288

I will try these. I had already increased these buffer, but not as much.

> You can do that by using sysctl command. Linux 2.6 kernel is of what
> is known as "Microsoft quality" and gives you almost no option to
> control it.

May be that is BG's cunning plan? Have his developer secretly work for the Linux kernel? :->

> Sometimes, just sometimes, there are things called bugs. Then you
> call Oracle and open a TAR. In 6 months or so you'll probably receive
> a patch, usually for the the problem you don't have, unless you've
> purchased golden support. Oracle has outsourced technical support and
> parts of development to Elbonia and that reflects on the quality of
> both code and support. The price for golden or platinum support is,
> of course, your firstborn child.

I thought about that, but is the FW setup supported (don't think so)? And even if it is, it just takes too long til you can talk/write to someone who really knows his stuff. (BTW: To my great surprise my last tar was handled by Ove Jensen (not shure about his last name) -who knew the database inside out. And that was just after two exchanges of the usual kind.

> In my opinion, given the quality of both Oracle and Linux, you should
> put your production database on Linux only if you have particularly
> strong desire for ulcer or heart attack.
This one is just for playing around at home. Production is either on AIX or on Solaris and we do not use RAC in production at all. We probably don't need it.

Thanks for your tips, I'll try them out and we will see whether I can get it to work.

Regards,
uwe