Re: *nix vs MS

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 18:11:03 -0700

sol beach wrote:

> tdb2:bash$ uptime
> 5:55pm up 1114 day(s), 19:54, 3 users, load average: 0.36, 0.27, 0.26
>
> Running V8.1.7 & has NOT been touched in YEARS!

That's impressive. Just to clarify, related to pluses for Unix, I was referring to the built-in system-level integrity check, rather than the length of uptime. The Engineers knew to include this by default.

Since "blasphemy" has been popular on this list lately, I'll state here that I believe all servers, especially production, should be administratively re-booted on a monthly or quarterly basis. If the server in the example above does re-boot someday (as it inevitably will), and it fails to come back up normally, how will you figure out which change(s) in the last three-plus years caused the problem?

Then again, they claim there is a light bulb in Livermore, California, that has been lit continuously (maybe not, they seem to be back-peddling on the "continuous" part now) for the last one hundred years, so who knows? Will some homely Linux PC out there be the next 100-year light bulb in the year 2100?

http://www.centennialbulb.org

--
Mark Bole
http://www.bincomputing.com