RE: Solid State Disks for Databases

From: Goulet, Dick <DGoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 17:02:55 -0400

Or worse, you on the chopping block!!

-----Original Message-----
From: stephen booth [mailto:stephenbooth.uk_at_gmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 4:39 PM To: MFontana_at_verio.net
Cc: Goulet, Dick; gogala_at_sbcglobal.net; mcdonald.connor_at_gmail.com; Oracle-L
Subject: Re: Solid State Disks for Databases

On 05/10/05, Michael Fontana <MFontana_at_verio.net> wrote:
> If I told users I could increase performance 20% with the method, as
> risky as it is, they wouldn't care how it was accomplished, until the
> bad thing such as you suggest were to occur!

Or more likely, IME, some consultant tells your users that they could increase performance by 20% with the method. A few months or even years later (during which you've raised concerns with the user's management about the dangers of power loss issues causing data loss and even corruption of the database, and the consultants have taken the money and run) the power goes, the UPSes give out after 30 seconds and the back generators won't start up because the IT management decided that generator maintenence was too expensive.

Somehow, it's you that lands up carrying the can.

Another reason to practice defensive paper work.

Stephen