10.2 locations for Admin and Oradata directories

From: Sarah Satterthwaite <ssatterthwaite_at_cswcasa.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 15:15:15 -0400

Oracle 10.2 on Windows

I am playing with this and did a default install of the sample database. I was very surprised to find the admin and oradata trees under ORACLE\PRODUCT\10.2.0. Is there any reason why it is desirable to keep then in a version specific tree? Many versions ago they did things that way but then they got smarter and made the Admin and Oradata areas version independent.

I know I can do a customized setup and change this, but I am wondering if there is any good reasons to do it the way they did in their sample database.

Thanks,

Sarah

Sarah Satterthwaite
Database Administrator