Re: AUTOEXTEND

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 14:33:45 -0500

Greg

 > I think from recovery procpective it's better to have smaller files that
> one huge, > in case you need to recover only one...

 As Chirang pointed out, autoextend does not automatically mean you end up with large data files. Whether you use autoextend or not, as a DBA you need to make sure the right objects get placed in the right places, need to check back periodically to ensure the growth is working out like you wanted, change things that should be changed, etc.  I have used both methods for many years and either can be successful, but you need to understand what you are doing with either method, and anticipate problems before they wake you at 2 a.m.
 Dennis Williams