Swap space requirements on 10g installs - must it really equal RA M?

From: <JayMiller_at_TDWaterhouse.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 14:59:50 -0400

Hello,

When installing 10G on dev and QA I had gotten the error that we should configure swap space to equal RAM. Since I figured out 4G of swap space was more than enough (why would we need 16G of swap space?) I ignored it, installed the software, created the database, and had no problems.

But one of the other DBAs was doing the production install and when he saw the message he balked and opened a TAR with Oracle. The Oracle support tech said that you *should* have swap set = to RAM. To be precise they said:

"...the database should not be installed on a machine having less than a 1:1 ratio of RAM to swap.

I would not advise skipping this message."

Speaking with one of the SAs he said the system won't even recognize more than 4G of swap.

Does anyone know of any reason why we would need more than 4G of RAM or (preferably :) why this isn't really important. Documentation for the latter would also be nice as I would now have to convince my management that this isn't necessary even though Oracle said it was.

Oracle 10.2
Solaris 2.9
16G RAM
4G Swap

Thanks,
Jay Miller
Sr. Oracle DBA

This message is confidential and sent by TD Waterhouse solely for use by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. This should not be deemed as an offer or solicitation, to buy or sell any product. Any 3rd party information contained herein was prepared by sources deemed reliable, but is not guaranteed. TD Waterhouse does not accept electronic instructions that would require an original signature. Information received by or sent from TD Waterhouse is stored, subject to review, and may be produced to regulatory authorities or others with a legal right to such.