RE: problem running dbca

From: Joe Cooper <aregularjoe8_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:06:39 -0700 (PDT)

We're running 10.1.0.3 on SuSE 9 (which is an Oracle-certified combination), and I had to file a TAR for this problem exactly. After several iterations of fruitless back-n-forth with tech spt, I found the following link:

http://www.orablogs.com/gdavison/archives/000286.html A thread on this blog recommended, as a workaround, removing/renaming the following library files: $ORACLE_HOME/oui/jlib/classes12.jar
$ORACLE_HOME/oc4j/jdbc/lib/nls_charset12.jar (A third file was mentioned, but I didn't find it on my server.) I renamed these files, then the 'dbca' utility worked. (NOTE: 'netca' is also affected by this.)

I updated the TAR telling Oracle that I wasn't to thrilled with this kludgy way of doing things. But they apparently didn't have a better answer, as their response was: (this is cut-n-pasted directly from the TAR)

"The work-around is acceptable and should not cause a problem with other GUI Apps on your machine."

A final note: the blog is geared toward Mac users, but it worked for my Windows XP desktop that I use with Reflections-X to talk with the LINUX server.

HTH   Joe Cooper
Senior Oracle DBA
Highline Data
Austin, TX

"Hollis, Les" <Les.Hollis_at_ps.net> wrote: You know, I have an install of SuSE 8.0 that I installed 9.2.0.1 on top of and had absolutely NO problems with it...

Guess it's the later releases f Linux (9.0 etc ) that just don't like to play together....