RE: LOCALLY MANAGED EXTENT PERFORMANCE

From: Kirtikumar Deshpande <kedeshpande_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:04:06 -0700 (PDT)

I did not follow all of this thread.... but here is something I did not too long ago:

In a recently acquired database I had to truncate a table in the cloned version of the database. Took over 7 hours as it had 99147 extents in a DMT. Truncating was required as we were preparing the cloned database to be shipped out to another business unit that we sold. This was trial #1.

Two week-ends ago, I moved the table to an LMT tablespace in the source database before we cloned the database for data purging. It took 10 hours to get that done (one time exercise). The table now has 199 extents.

The truncate took less than 2 seconds in Trial #2 (dress rehearsal for final cut-off 2 weeks from now).

There is another table with 37408 extents that I need to move to LMT before then..... :)

Cheers!

<snip>

Do You Yahoo!?