Re: LOCALLY MANAGED EXTENT PERFORMANCE

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:09:56 -0600

Ibrahim,

You are confusing dictionary-managed tablespaces (DMT) and locally-managed tablespaces (LMT). Mention of the clustered UET$ and FET$ tables have no place in a discussion of LMT, since they are only used by DMT.

No doubt it takes less time to truncate fewer extents, though I doubt the difference is very significant. What you have to keep in mind is:

  1. How often do I truncate?
  2. Even if I truncate often, could I use the "REUSE STORAGE" clause instead of the default "DROP STORAGE"? After all, repeated truncations indicate that the space is getting reused over and over again. Why deallocate storage if its going to be reused?
  3. Why should truncate performance, even if done frequently, trump other considerations?

I imagine that you don't truncate your 27G table too often, so I'm curious as to why truncate performance is so important? Follow that logic a little further, and you'll have to ask yourself exactly what autoallocate has improved by storing 27G in 600 extents?

How about testing query performance, insert/update/delete performance, etc? I imagine that the performance of those operations are quite important against your 27G table with 600 extents. Rest assured that the performance of SQL statements will not change with the number of extents, unless the extent size is set so small that multi-block reads for full table-scans are inhibited (i.e. 256K or less, usually), but why would anyone allocate such small extents for a 27G table?

Just food for thought...

-Tim