Re: LOCALLY MANAGED EXTENT PERFORMANCE

From: Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:18:12 +0800

check your tablespace quotas - LMT's are lightning fast for extent allocation / de-alloc but quota mgt on those tablespace is still done via a dictionary table. See if you get any joy removing any quota restrictions you may have on these ts's

hth
connor

On 4/23/05, Wolfson Larry - lwolfs <lawrence.wolfson_at_acxiom.com> wrote:
> Hi guys!

>=20

> Anyone seen any issues with large locally mananged extents?
>=20
> Recently I noticed one of my applications taking a long time to d=

> truncates.
>=20

> And an index rebuild where I increased the locally managed extent
> size from 16K took almost an hour for 58,000 extents when larger indexes
> (and extents) only took 3-4 minutes.

>=20
> I once had a purchased app using a 16K extent size for huge table=
> took 2 hours and 7 minutes to do a truncate on just one table (dictionary
> managed). I killed it the first time after 45 minutes cause I thought it
> was hung up somewhere else.
> Not sure why it was set to 16K in the first place. Good for test=
ing
> I guess.
>=20

> Thanks
> Larry
>=20
> The information contained in this communication is
> confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient
> named above, and may be legally privileged.
> If the reader of this message is not the intended
> distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly
> prohibited.
> If you have received this communication in error,
> please re-send this communication to the sender and
> delete the original message or any copy of it from your
> computer system. Thank You.
>=20

>=20

--=20
Connor McDonald
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D
email: connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com
web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk