RMAN restore

From: dba1 mcc <mccdba1_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:58:47 -0700 (PDT)

You are recovering from a *backup controlfile*. A *backup controlfile*
does NOT contain the same information as the production controlfile,
hence the SCN in the controlfile isn't equal to the SCN in the
datafile.
As you are recovering from a *backup controlfile*, you are performing
*incomplete recovery*, which you do by
recover database using backup controlfile until cancel

So your script is incorrect.
After *incomplete recovery* using the resetlogs clause is *mandatory*,
as *documented*.

Please read the documentation carefully or ask clarification with
respect to specific passages in the doc. It is no use to request this
group to spell it out for you all again. Please try to understand the basic difference between *complete* and
*incomplete* recovery, various people have tried to explain it to you
for several weeks now, and you begin to become annoying.

What is the difference if I perform an incremental RMAN backup each
>night, verses if I just backup the archive logs?

an incremental backup will only backup the changed blocks.
As this happens at a distinct point in time, you *still* need the
archivelogs, at least those created during backup.

>When I need to recover, I can just apply all the
archive logs, or, I
>can apply the incremental backups.......

When you recover the database, you restore a backup, don't you?
Rman will automatically use the incremental backup, and then use the
archivelogs when necessary.

Please read those manuals carefully! It's all there!!

Do You Yahoo!?