Re: sqlplus shutdown "time-out"

From: Vitalis <vitalisman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 15:22:39 +0200

> Double shutdown is ok - you get consistent datafiles to back up.
> rm

Hi,

Regarding my original script (used with 9i instances on Unix): shutdown immediate
startup
shutdown immediate
startup mount

Here is why I use this sequence. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong:

I use 2 shutdowns because when the script begins, the instance might be down (instance crash): the first "shutdown immediate" would not succeed as wanted, the startup would recover the database and the "shutdown immediate" would succeed, thus guaranteeing the consistency of the backup (one "shutdown immediate" would not guarantee that consistency.)

One can wonder if there is a need for the first shutdown if the instance has crashed. I wrote this first shutdown so that it would completely close a "half-crashed" instance. Then hopefully the startup would proceed without any problem.
Of course this approach is not suitable for production databases (offline backups should be avoided on production databases in the first place!)

Question: Is this "half-crashed" instance scenario plausible (with regard of PMON, SMON...)?

TIA
Jerome