Question on UNDO segment transition in an active database

From: Ram K <lambu999_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 04:02:21 -0700

Hi all,
=20

   I was reading Orafaq about Auto Undo management. According to it, one can have multiple UNDO tablespaces per database, but only one can be active at a given time (per instance). But, at any time the DBA can switch to a different undo tablespace by changing the UNDO_TABLESPACE parameter on-line (ALTER SYSTEM).
=20

   I am wondering how the switchover happens in a case where there are hundreds of active transactions. If there can be only one Undo tablespace where would the active transactions using the old Undo tablespace go during a switchover. Do they get switched over to the newer one (in the middle of the transaction) before the newer undo TS is brought online? Any points to consider while switching over when the system is experiencing high activity.

--=20
Thanks,
Ram.