Re: sqlplus shutdown "time-out"

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 12:25:59 -0400

On 4/19/05, Hostetter, Jay M <JHostetter_at_decommunications.com> wrote:
> It's left over from Rama Velpouri's scripts in his Backup and Recovery
> handbook. (OK - I have the 7.3 book, so I don't know if this was
> changed in later releases of the book - if there were any). His book
> cites the reasons as:

>=20

> 1) To get the datafiles and redologs listing file (which I no longer
> need, now that I use RMAN)
>=20

> 2) To get a clean cold backup.

>=20
> Jay

Where to begin?
In the land of win32, stopping an OS service that is set to use shutdown immediate is notorious for notorious for timing out prior to closing cleanly.
Yes, one can hike the value of the key=20 HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WaitToKillServiceTimeout to a sensible value of (e.g. 300000) and use oradim to hike the "TIMEOUT" parameter.
OEM agents, snmp agents are known to be resistant to dying quickly during a shutdown immediate.

Use hot or rman backups if the db is in archivelog mode.

Cold backups are highly overrated (a real pita).

I find them useful before a patchset is applied or before an upgrade to a new release.
Making a hot backup consistent with a new set of binaries is an adventure that I do not recommend.

You're best off to check the current wind direction from Metalink, but I strongly believe that the preferred method is to:

alter system checkpoint;
alter system switch logfile;
shutdown abort;
startup mount restrict;
alter system set job_queue_processes=3D0; -- might want to mess with aq_processes here also shutdown immediate

(stop the OS service if you're on win32)

hth.

Paul

>=20
>=20

e use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed and may conta=
in information that is privileged, proprietary and confidential. If you are=
 not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone th=
e message or any information contained in the message. If you have received=
 this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-ma=
il message. The contents do not represent the opinion of D&E except to the =
extent that it relates to their official business.
>=20

--=20
#/etc/init.d/init.cssd stop
# f=3Dma, divide by 1, convert to moles.