Q(2):Copy production database to Q/A or test environment - expla nation

From: Amihay Gonen <AmihayG_at_ectel.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:09:13 +0300

Hi all ,
Thanks for all the input which you have provide . I've noted it down. I would like to clear my question.

our requirements :
We have several customers using oracle9i and 8i (and in the future 10g) , all around the world . Most of those database are big (3Tb-400Gb).

Something we need to get those database in order to investigate problems or new patches.
The issue is how do we get the copy of the database from customer site to the development center.
What we need is the database structure ( Tables , code and more) and set of configuration tables (size 200M~ or less).

I think that the second option will be create bigger files to transport over the internet , but will be more simple to implement , and once developed , it can be very
automatic , without human interaction.

I would like to get your comments.

Amihay Gonen
DBA,

my old question :

Hi ,

I've a requirement to develop a process to copy production database (3Tb and above) at customer site to QA or test environment (Vendor side).

The requirements are :

This copy is done in order to investigate problem in customer sites and to verify that patches which will be release , will run well.

I'm thinking on two ways to developer such process :

  1. Full exp without data + A list of tables to export with data. Zipped those files , transfer them to vendor site , import those files into a clean database.
  2. Take a hot backup of system and undo tablespaces and the configurations tablespace (let's assume that all the configurations tables are in the same tablespace).Zipped those files , transfer them to vendor site , create a new instance , recover and open the database

What do you think it , it's the best way to go ? Please note that this process should be done with minimal DBA resource in the process. (DBA is a rare resource :) )

Amihay Gonen
DBA,