Re: Listener password

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 00:47:46 +0100

Just located this in the release specfic docs: 7 LISTENER AUTHENTICATION In an ongoing effort to strengthen the security of our products, the 10*g*Oracle Net Listener has a new local OS authentication security mechanism,
which is automatically enabled for every installed listener. This mechanism allows the listener to determine the OS user credentials of the user running the lsnrctl control utility on the same host where the listener is running. A privileged command will only be allowed if it was issued by the same OS user as the user running the listener or a system administrator (for example the root user on UNIX). Administrative commands originating from a remote host will be rejected unless password security is configured.

Only the lsnrctl control utility of a version greater or equal to the version of the running listener can be used to administer it, with the exception of VERSION command. The VERSION command does not require authorization and may be issued from an older lsnrctl control utility program.

On 4/16/05, Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/15/05, Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > In 10g R1 on win32, local OS authentication is used by default, and
> > one does not have to set the password on the listener manually for
> > remote administration to be prevented.
> > Prior releases had no password set by default.
>

> Thanks Paul, I didn't know that.
>
> I guess if I continue to supply bad answers, you will
> continue to educate me. ;)
>

> --
> Jared Still

Jared Still