Re: Duplicate Table Entries

From: Tapan Trivedi <taptriv_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 12:51:05 -0700 (PDT)

Put a unique constraint on the table .
Enable it.
Put the exceptions into the exceptions table.  $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlexcpt.sql to create the exceptions table.

$Alter table table_name enable constraint unique_constraint_name exceptions into exceptions;

The exceptions table will have the row_ids of the rows which violate the constraint.

HTH,
Tapan Trivedi

Lex de Haan <lex.de.haan_at_naturaljoin.nl> wrote: are these "3 or 4 columns" always the same columns, for all rows, or do you want to identify the rows that are "almost identical" in general?

in case you mean the former, that's relatively easy. the latter will take some more intelligence :-)

cheers,
Lex.

> Good Day All,
>
> I have a table with more than 100 columns of data. In some cases,
> several rows may have duplicate data except for 3 or 4 columns.
> Is there an easy way to find those rows?
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance.
>
> Bill
>
> William Gaston
> Systems Designer / Information Technology
> USG Corporation
> Chicago, Il 60606
> (312) 606-3851
> wgaston_at_usg.com