Re: mysql - OT

From: Radu-Adrian Popescu <radu.popescu_at_aldratech.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:56:10 +0300

Mark Leith wrote:
> But MySQL supports Primary and Foreign Key constraints - the only thing
> it doesn't support are check constraints, and I believe those are on the
> "TODO" for 5.1, although you could probably mimic them with a BEFORE
> UPDATE trigger in 5.0..

MySQL has a track record of being a joke. It has a lot of bugs in behaving as advertised that bite you when in production. It makes lame assumptions regarding the data types conversion. It's going to take the mysql ab guys _years_ of improvements until they can match up with PostgreSQL as it stands today. Remember that PG has _years_ of having stored procedures, ACID compliance, fine-tuned caching and locking algorithms and such. Years. Can MySQL just come out of the blackhole they've lived in and claim production quality ? Yes, 3+ years from now, if they do their homework. Now, I wonder where will PG be then ?
MySQL is like a retarded child that you've been force-feeding some basic algebra classes into for a really long time and finally he seems to "get it". He may not crack up in the first 15 minutes of questioning, but eventually he will. Moreover you'll see that sometimes results are completely random, proof of a deeper problem.

I see you're really hot on this mysql joke. Here's something to put you off a bit:

mysql> CREATE TABLE null_1 (

     ->   id INT NOT NULL,
     ->   text1 VARCHAR(32) NOT NULL,
     ->   text2 VARCHAR(32) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'foo'
     -> ) type=innodb;

Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.02 sec)

mysql> INSERT INTO null_1 (id) VALUES(1); Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> select * from null_1;
+----+-------+-------+
| id | text1 | text2 |
+----+-------+-------+
| 1 | | foo |
+----+-------+-------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> describe null_1;
+-------+-------------+------+-----+---------+-------+ | Field | Type | Null | Key | Default | Extra | +-------+-------------+------+-----+---------+-------+

| id    | int(11)     |      |     | 0       |       |
| text1 | varchar(32) |      |     |         |       |
| text2 | varchar(32) |      |     | foo     |       |

Would you like fries with that ? Also while on the subject, since when does "id" have a default value of 0 ?!

I will _never_, _ever_ use _any_ database that has _ever_ behaved like this in a production release, and I'm quite sure many will agree.

MySQL is a joke. A bad one. For more of the same see http://sql-info.de/mysql/gotchas.html

Regards,

--
Radu-Adrian Popescu