VLDBA's: gather stats on a large table

From: Teehan, Mark <mark.teehan_at_csfb.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:34:07 +0800

I have a 7bn row, weekly partitioned IOT that adds hundreds of millions of rows each week. A five percent stats job estimate takes 20 hrs every weekend. Given that I only insert to the latest partition, all others are RO, and have no global indexes, how should I gather stats? As the app doesnt specify the partition in selects, I need to maintain global stats, which means I need to rescan all 7bn rows each time. Is there a better way to do this? How to you gather stats on data that is 90% read-only, but maintain accurate global stats?

Thanks!
Mark Teehan

This message is for the sole use of the intended recipient. If you received this message in error please delete it and notify us. If this message was misdirected, CSFB does not waive any confidentiality or privilege. CSFB retains and monitors electronic communications sent through its network. Instructions transmitted over this system are not binding on CSFB until they are confirmed by us. Message transmission is not guaranteed to be secure.