Index on status field?

From: Martic Zoran <zoran_martic_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 06:26:39 -0700 (PDT)

The index is on the simple status field on the huge partitioned table per day.
Initially it is populated with value 0.
When the record is processed I am thinking to put the value to NULL so removing entries from the index and making the index more compact (in opposed to 1).

The idea is simple, but not sure about the drawbacks?

If you have 1M rows of status field with 0 and 400M with NULL. Then you insert another many millions into the table every day, then put them back to NULL after they are processed.

How is Oracle choosing where to place the new 0 in the index?
What is going to happened to the index in simple manner? Is it going to grow or as we all know old blocks will be reused?

I should think of this myself or even try it, but too busy at the moment.
Also, my brain is not working nicely at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Zoran

Yahoo! Messenger