RE: Very Simply KSH Question

From: Post, Ethan <Ethan.Post_at_ps.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 14:37:51 -0500

delimited=20

-----Original Message-----
From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Carmen Rusu Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 2:34 PM
To: mgogala_at_allegientsystems.com; Post, Ethan Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Very Simply KSH Question

Excuse me, what does "deliminated" list mean?

Couldnt find "deliminated" in my Webster...

Thanks,
Carmen Rusu
Odba

Post, Ethan wrote:

>This works on my Solaris server, when I run on my web host (not sure
>what OS) it will not set X and Y. Both are using ksh. Is this
related
>to ksh versions or is this a stupid way to set multiple variables from
>deliminated list?
>
> echo 2 4 | read X Y
> echo $X
>2
> echo $Y
>4
>--
>http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l=20
> =20

It is a stupid way to set multiple variables from a deliminated list. Smart way would be this:

$ let A=3D2;
$ let B=3D3
$ let C=3D$A*$B
$ echo $C