Re: Multiple installed versions of Oracle

From: Gene Sais <Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 14:03:53 -0400

I have always ran multiple versions of oracle on a single server with many databases. You are upgrading both OS and Oracle at the same time. I recommend moving your databases to free up a server, upgrade the OS on that server then migrate the databases to free up another server. Upgrading an OS and Database at the same time is risky business.
>>> Barbara Baker <barb.baker_at_gmail.com> 04/05/05 12:01 PM >>>
Tracy:
This is just silly. If you're working for a company that can buy a separate server for every single installation of oracle, that company is making too much money.

Any DBA that EVER crashed a db due to "administering db in an incorrect manner" ought to have their sorry butts fired.

I've had occasions where, for a variety of vendor-related reasons, I've administered up to 5 different versions. It's a reality of our business. I've never experienced a problem runing multiple versions. I'm currently running 5 databases with 7.3.4, 5 databases with 8.1.7.4, and 4 databases with 9.2.0.4, all on the same server, and all are running just fine.

Just my .02, but you should stick to your guns.

Barb

On Apr 5, 2005 8:55 AM, Tracy Rahmlow <tracy.rahmlow_at_aexp.com> wrote:
> We are in the process of upgrading several databases from 8i on AIX
4.3.3
> to 9 on AIX 5.2 or 10g on AIX 5.2. The target version depends upon
> whether or not the application is supported on 10g or not. If not
will be
> migrating toward 9.
> The manager of the unix area has indicated that he has seen issues at
his
> previous shop with co-locating multiple versions of Oracle on the
same
> server and is basically not allowing the practice. I have never seen
or
> heard of this issue, but am trying to remain open-minded to his
concern.
> Here are his statements verbatim:
>
> Several occasions where server and db crashed due to dba
administering db
> in an incorrect manner. IE mistook one version for the other.
Applied