Re: Multiple installed versions of Oracle

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 09:45:23 -0800

On Apr 5, 2005 6:55 AM, Tracy Rahmlow <tracy.rahmlow_at_aexp.com> wrote:

> Several occasions where server and db crashed due to dba administering db
> in an incorrect manner. IE mistook one version for the other. Applied
> the incorrect maintenance patch to the incorrect instance.
>
> Several occasions where db versions did not play nice together 7.3.4 and
> 8i.

I would like to be the HW sales engineer for these companies.

If I were it would behoove me to foster this attitude to the fullest extent, so here goes:

If at all possible, never run more than one instance on a single server.

The minimum SGA for an instance is 4 gig, but only on severely limited budgets.

The number of CPU's should be determined by the number of users:

Users CPU Count

1 2
2-5 4
6-10 8
10-20 16
20+ 32+

Under no circumstances should multiple versions of Oracle be installed on single server.

This would have a severe impact on the bottom line. ( mine of course )

Though we're not really adhering to that advice around here. ;)

--
Jared Still