Re: Accidentally Delete *.dbf Files, OH NO!!!

From: stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:37:50 +0000

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:23:19 -0600, Michael Fontana <mfontana_at_verio.net> wrote:
> Is there something that can be done, at the OS or Oracle level, to prevent
> such a thing? Needless to say, the "whackers" are using root to enter the
> command, so changing permissions would accomplish little. They are already
> set to only allow "oracle" write access.

Email them. Copy to your boss, their boss and the CIO or CEO. Tell them not to touch any files in the Oracle filesystems and that each time they delete those files it costs the company however many hundreds of thousands of dollars it costs (your time, downtime, lost customer confidence &c). Also put in each datafile directory a README.1st file containing a copy of the mail.

Whilst you're at it make sure that your backups are up to date and kept upto date. If you have enough disk space (I know, no-one ever has enough disk space, see if you cna get management to spring for a cheap NAS or some Bladestore) then consider having a script that runs from cron and a couple of times a day puts the database into hot backup mode, copies off the datafiles then takes it out of hotbackup mode. At least that way you have a quick recovery.

When they do it again (which they will) email your boss, their boss and the CIO/CEO explaining that despite your best efforts they've done it again and have cost the company X hundred thousand dollars. Then help them to pack up their desk and hold the door as security eject them physically from the building.

It's that or hire a contract killer (a profession who generally charge less per day than Oracle consultants and give much better proof of their effectiveness).

Stephen