advice required on partioning

From: John Dunn <jdunn_at_sefas.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:09:01 -0000

I have a table with a date field that lends itself to partitioning. However this is not the field that is used in most queries, so I currently have 2 indexes on other columns in the table.

I want to partition the table mainly to speed up deletes, which are done based on values in date field. This allow me to drop a partition rather do a normal delete.

Does it make sense to

  1. Partition the table by the date column
  2. Create a local partitioned index using that column
  3. Create 2 other indexes on the 2 columns used for select statements. Should these be non-partitioned or global partitioned?

John