Re: standby db - ora16166 LGWR timed out on Network Server 1 due to buffer full condition

From: <Patty.Charlebois_at_greenshield.ca>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:59:30 -0500

Not sure that this has anything to do with your problem but we were getting the same error message on our primary site when we put a logical standby into production in November=2E

We had an Oracle consultant on-site helping us with our implementation and he determined that the error was occurring because we did not have a dedicated network connection between the primary and standby servers=2E The shared network resource did not have available bandwith for the primary to ship the archive log data in the buffer to the standby server=2E In our case this hung up our production database :(=2E

We never did do anymore investigation to prove the guy right or wrong because the next day they pulled the plug on the Data Guard project=2E

HTH Patty

steve noyle <stevenoyle1_at_yahoo=2Ecom>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists=2Eorg 2005/01/19 08:38 AM
Please respond to
stevenoyle1_at_yahoo=2Ecom

cjpengel=2Edbalert_at_xs4all=2Enl, "oracle-l_at_freelists=2Eorg" <oracle-l_at_freelists=2Eorg>
cc

Subject
Re: standby db - ora16166 LGWR timed out on Network Server 1 due to buffer full condition

yes, the standby is pingable and the RFS process and listener are running at the standby=2E

OS - solaris 8

the only entry in sqlnet=2Eora on both the primary & standby is
NAMES=2EDIRECTORY_PATH=3D (TNSNAMES,HOSTNAME) v$database on primary shows primary,archivelog,read write, maximum performance

v$database on standby shows physical standby, archivelog, mounted, maximum performance

When I switched log file, the logfile got applied at the standby site almost instantaneously=2E I created a couple of objects on the primary and did verify that they got created on the standby=2E

I've been getting this error when there were no activities on the database and yet when I tested loading a table yesterday, no error message=2E

Appreciate any insights=2E

thanks=2E

steve

> Some counterquestions to start with:
> OS? Version? SQL*Net settings? Listener running on
> standby? Standby
> pingable? Is the RFS process at the standby running?
> When you perform a
> logswitch, what happens? Will any logfile arrive at
> the standby?
> what does V$DATABASE show you?
>

> On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 19:39, steve noyle wrote:
>
> > hi,
> > I've just set up a 9=2E2=2E0=2E4 standby database and
> have
> > been getting the following messages every day=2E
> >
> > Timing out on NetServer 1
> > prod=3D39901,cons=3D37325,threshold=3D2560
> > ORA-16166: LGWR timed out on Network Server 1 due
> > buffer full condition=2E
> > No action is required since the log file
> > transfer will be attempted via ARCH
> > Sun Jan 16 02:34:14 2005
> > Errors in file

/u01/app/oracle/admin/test01/bdump/test01_lgwr_12800=2Etrc:

All your favorites on one personal page ? Try My Yahoo! http://my=2Eyahoo=2Ecom
--
http://www=2Efreelists=2Eorg/webpage/oracle-l

This e-mail is confidential, intended solely for the use of the
recipient(s) to whom it was addressed=2E If you have received it
in error, please do not copy or distribute this e-mail=2E We ask
that you notify us immediately by replying to the sender and
then delete this e-mail=2E E-mail sent or received over the
internet may not be secure=2E You should use caution when sending
e-mail messages containing private and confidential information
or consider other secure means to send the information=2E If you
have any questions regarding the authenticity or security of
e-mail you have received from Green Shield Canada please do not
hesitate to contact us at 1-800-265-5615=2E

Please visit us at our website:  http://www=2Egreenshield=2Eca

Ce message de courriel est confidentiel et s=92adresse uniquement
=E0 la personne ou =E0 l=92organisme indiqu=E9(e)=2E  Si vous l=92avez re=E7u
par erreur, veuillez ne pas copier ni distribuer ce message de
courriel=2E  Nous vous demandons de nous aviser imm=E9diatement en
r=E9pondant =E0 l=92exp=E9diteur, puis en supprimant ce message=2E Les
messages envoy=E9s ou re=E7us par courriel pourraient ne pas =EAtre
s=E9curis=E9s=2E  Vous devriez =EAtre prudent lorsque vous envoyez des
messages de courriel contenant des renseignements confidentiels
et priv=E9s ou songer =E0 prendre d=92autres moyens s=E9curis=E9s pour
envoyer les renseignements=2E  Si vous avez des questions concernant
l=92authenticit=E9 ou la s=E9curit=E9 d=92un courriel que vous avez re=E7u de
Green Shield Canada, n=92h=E9sitez pas =E0 communiquer avec nous au
1-800-265-5615=2E

Visitez notre site Web:  http://www=2Egreenshield=2Eca