RE: Replacement for onames in 10g

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 05:57:22 +1100

We announced quite some time back that OiD was the replacement for Oracle N= ames going forward from the 9i release timeframe, so you won't find namesct= l at all from what I understand in 10g.

Having said that, the options that I'm aware of are:

  1. Use OiD
  2. Replicate tnsnames everywhere
  3. Use a central tnsnames file and then use the tns_admin environment varia= ble to point to it. =

All going from memory so take it with a grain of salt. :)

=

Pete
=

"Controlling developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook
=

"Oh no, it's not. It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA