RE: Which plan is better - what COST really means ?

From: Karen Morton <karen.morton_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:50:47 -0800

Jonathan also mentioned to me that the cost estimate should be = multiplied by 'sreadtim'
when running 9i with system statistics (cpu costing) enabled. The cost = multiplied by this
value is the assumed time to complete.

Cost is not the time estimate itself and this is what I was trying to = discern from
Jonathan's earlier post. What I understand Jonathan was trying to say = was that cost is
the value that should be multiplied by a time value estimate to = determine the estimated
time to complete.

The issue I still find for myself is that I rarely see this estimated = value be reliably
close to the actual value for response time. Perhaps in the perfect = world, and I guess
that's where the optimizer thinks it lives :), it would. But, even on a = test database
where I am the only user executing a single query, I don't often see the = costed time
estimate match the actual.

I just wish the optimizer was perfect....then again, if that were the = case, many of us
would have to find other ways to fill our time currently allotted to = query optimization.
:)

Karen Morton
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com