RE: RE:good docs on star schema/snowflake versus relational desig n

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:06:21 -0500

Excellent suggestion. Ralph has his papers available at  http://www.ralphkimball.com

Paula - If you can provide a bit more about your DW background, or = whether
your organization has already implemented a DW we can provide some = helpful
suggestions. This is a pretty broad area and you probably don't want to spend a lot of time reading if you have something specific in mind.

     By the way, I would contrast DW modeling vs. OLTP normalized data models. Since DW schemas need to be queried easily and usually aren't updated by a diversity of programs, some of the data modeling is done differently.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.

"We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive."=20 -- C.S. Lewis