RE: Creating Histograms

From: Freeman, Donald <dofreeman_at_state.pa.us>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:37:58 -0400

I have Wolfgang's presentation from =
http://www.centrexcc.com/SQL%20Tuning%20with%20Statistics.ppt.pdf but = have a question about exporting statistics. I understand that before I = start mucking about I need to save them. And, I'm gathering that each = time before we rerun them in our current Russian Roulette system we = should save them, just 'in case.'=20

When creating the stats table to whom should I grant ownership? I = found an article with an example creating it under SYS schema in the = SYSTEM tablespace. Wolfgang's example creates it in Scott's schema and = tablespace. If this is going to be a production process should I set it = up under an application schema owner? Or does each application schema = owner need their own stats table? Can I keep multiple sets of statistics = for a single schema? Is that what the statid is for? Or, do I need to = export them to save them? I'm a little bit foggy on the big picture = here since I'm not currently doing any of this. Sorry if this is = sounding ignorant!

I want to verify that if I export my production statistics to a test = machine I will get the same execution plan regardless of the fact that I = only have 10% of the data on that system. Right?