Re: Connect error and database links

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:00:06 +0800

Check to see if you have any system triggers [eg a LOGON or LOGOFF trigger]. However, 4092 is an obvious "cannot COMMIT or ROLLBACK in a trigger "

At 08:24 PM Thursday, you wrote:

   People -

   I have a puzzling situation here, and would be grateful for any    input.

   We have two instances, geographically remote, both v8.1.7, and both    connected using Net8.

   Database links are created differently on both instances - as thus:

    On instance DB2:

    create database link Ora1 connect to FRED     identified by xxxxxxx using 'DB1.WORLD';

    and on instance DB1:

    create database link Ora2 connect to FRED     identified by xxxxxxxx using 'DB2';

   DBlink 'Ora1' cannot be created using the form applied to the    creation of DBlink 'Ora2'. The names are changed to protect the    innocent, and no, we are NOT using DB2... :-)

   These links work, data can be queried, tables described etc.

   However, if while connected to instance DB2, and one then retrieves    data from DB1 using the link, and then attempts to connect to DB1 as    thus: SQL>connect fred_at_db1 - the following error appears:

    Enter password: ******
    ERROR:

    ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
    ORA-04092: cannot COMMIT in a trigger
    ORA-06512: at line 16

    ERROR:
    ORA-24315: illegal attribute type

    This error ONLY occurs on DB2.

    If no use of the database link had been made during that session, a     connection to DB1 would have been entirely successful. Further, it     is not as though cause can be traced to a trigger on the remote     table being queried, as the error appears even after querying a     table with no triggers on it.

    Can anyone advise on what we have overlooked here? I must admit     that I have not spent much time in the TNS area, so could have     overlooked something obvious. The text for the first error     message (0604) ends with the ominous 'contact customer support' -     is it time to do this?

    thanks,

    peter
    edinburgh
--

    mailto:pgro_at_bgs.ac.uk

Hemant K Chitale
Oracle 9i Database Administrator Certified Professional http://web.singnet.com.sg/~hkchital
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."