Re: Off-topic

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:05:32 -0400

On 07/16/2004 11:51:40 AM, Bob Lofstrand wrote:
> There is nothing (that I know of) in informix that is just like the
> translate function.

With all due respect, I'm not sure that translating even belongs to the database. There are numerous tools to do that on the application side. The pervasive paradigm, as far as I am aware, is to have data stored in the database, and then translated as necessary, because the user might want to see the same data in English, Spanish, German or Croatian. Translating is an expensive operation and imposes unnecessary strain on the database server. Logically, translation belongs at the user end, not on the database server.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA