RE: to_number question

From: Poras, Henry R. <Henry_Poras_at_dfci.harvard.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 11:05:24 -0400

But wait, now we are getting into other problems. The object of the optimizer is to determine the optimal physical access path to the data, in order to return our desired result set. There are always numerous ways to ask the same query. There are different SQL syntaxes which will always return identical result sets. An ideal optimizer will be aware of these identities and always use the same, optimal, execution plan regardless of how we phrased the query. Performance shouldn't be dependent on how we write the queries. It has been in the past as optimizers aren't perfect, but the goal is to move away from this. If we can decide that the optimizer needs to be aware of the parenthesis, we are now saying that we want our syntax to influence the execution plan and hence performance. Ugh!!

Henry